Saturday, July 26, 2014

Coconut Custard Warabi Mochi

Warabi mochi is a variation from the typical mochi one envision when they think of mochi. This mochi is more translucent and a bit softer in texture, kind of similar to what one would imagine if combining mochi with jello or jelly. 

For this I used warabi mochi powder and some water, following the measurements on the package.
Traditionally warabi mochi is served by dusting or coating the outside of the mochi with kinako powder mixed with a little bit of sugar. Then kuromitsu is drizzled over the top for an extra kick of flavor.
HOWEVER
I decided to mix it up a little and make a custard cream to go with the warabi mochi. But not just any custard cream, a coconut custard cream. Let me tell you what, that was one of the best decision I could have made. The custard was so velvety and the sweetness paired so nicely with the texture of the warabi mochi.
 For the custard I used:
-1 can coconut milk
-3 egg yolks
-3 TB sugar

Method:
1. Warm the coconut milk in a small pot until it is heated, but not too hot to the touch.
2. Pour the coconut milk into a bowl that is over a pot with simmering water (double boiler). Make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water in the pot!
3. Beat egg yolks and sugar together with a fork until combined, the sugar doesn't have to be dissolved
4. Trickle in the egg/sugar mixture slowly into the coconut milk while whisking. 
5. Do not stop whisking!...For about 30 minutes or until you get your desired thickness.
6. Pour into a bowl and set in the fridge to cool and firm up a bit more

*My custard came out a bit runnier than I would have hoped, next time I think I will whisk it for a little bit longer (it still tasted good though!).
Here I tried to fill the warabi mochi with the custard cream, but it was a bit difficult. Instead, I decided to just top the warabi mochi with the custard and that worked out well.
Desert is served!
Half eaten and you can see the warabi mochi better now that some of the cream has been devoured. I had some very happy customers that night!
This is definitely worth the time and effort, it was delicious!

Much love,
Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment