Friday, June 20, 2014

Punch It Pizza

Pizza party Friday night! As Jonathan Sacconejoly would say. *Side Note* I love the Sacconejolys, they are such amazing people and their children are so adorable!! 

Starting with the dough, I used Food Network's recipe. I was browsing through many recipes for pizza dough and I decided to try my hand at this variation. 
What you need:
1 packet of instant yeast
1+1/4 C. lukewarm water
1+1/2 C. whole wheat flour
2 C all-purpose flour
1 TB olive oil
1 TB honey
1/2 TSP salt

The how to:
1. Add the yeast to the water, stir it around for a second, and let it do its thing while you gather the rest of the ingredients
2. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl until it forms a ball, Food Network says to use a food processor, I used my trusty two hands.
3. Place the dough ball in a well oiled bowl and cover with a damp towel for 45 minutes
It grew!! This is what the dough looked like after about 45 minutes of letting the dough rise.
4. Now this is when you get to....Punch it!  BAM! 
5. I kneaded the dough a bit then separated it into these two portions, wrapped each with plastic wrap, and put them in the fridge for about 4 hours. The recipe says to let it rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours before use.
6. Rolling out the dough to the thickness you like. 
Next time I'm going to try do do a thinner crust because that is what I prefer.
7. Add your toppings, being careful not to overload it or else it may not cook throughout.
Here is one of my favorite combinations of toppings to make my own version of a margarita pizza. YUM! This one has shrimp, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, fresh basil from the garden, and what was left of the provolone cheese (not much).
Here's the pizza I made for my dad. He likes to have provolone and pepperoni on his.
This was the first time I used a pizza stone and it was a little messy to tell the truth as you can see the cheese had melted quite a bit and when I was taking it out of the oven, the toppings started to move with the cheese around the pizza.
8. I put the pizza in the oven at 450 degrees Fahrenheit until the crust was crispy and the toppings were all cooked nicely.
Sorry for the bad photography skills with this picture, but this is the end product of the shrimp pizza. I actually added some left over caramelized onions on the top of it and it added SOOOO much to the flavor of the pizza. I highly recommend it. I would definitely have this pizza again, but I think I will experiment with another recipe for the dough and see how it turns out. I'll let you know how that turns out later, until then...

Much love,
Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment